Archaeological Area of ​​San Calocero

The Complex of San Calocero is located on the northern slopes of the Monte di San Martino, outside the walled city of Albenga, in correspondence of an area that has restored pre-existing features of the Roman imperial age. It consists of the remains of a late ancient funerary settlement, on which the martyrial church was established, whose first certain phase can be traced back to the first half of the century, and of a medieval monastery.

deepening

The memory of a strong religious tradition dating back to the Late Antiquity and very important epigraphic findings - the earliest memory of epigraphs from San Calocero dates back to the fifteenth century - interest in living in the town is an interest in this site, definitively abandoned in 1593, when the Clarisse nuns moved inside the urban context in the district of Santa Eulalia (current old hospital). The first explorations of the site in 1934 are due to Nino Lamboglia (1912-1977), continued with the significant campaign of 1938-1939 and in 1971. This great archaeologist, who did his best to spread and extend to classical and medieval archeology the stratigraphic method in excavation investigations, precisely in San Calocero, the first experiences of stratigraphic archeology.

The Superintendency for Archaeological Heritage of Liguria in the period between 1985 and 2008 gave particular importance to the activity of research, protection and enhancement of the San Calocero complex with a view to returning the site and its knowledge to the wider public. The Pontifical Institute of Christian Archeology and the Ecole Francaise de Rome collaborated in the archaeological investigations.

 

Ticket


Full € 6
Reduced € 4 *
Discounted € 3 **

*Reduced
to children under 14 and over 65;
to groups of at least 4 people;

Facilitated **
to those who visited another museum of the civic network on the same day (presenting the ticket);
to school groups (<18 years) composed of at least 15 people accompanied by their own guide.

Location