The hamlets of Albenga

The wealth of Albenga does not reside only in its historical center, the city is numbered 6 hamlets that feed the historical, cultural and gastronomic patrimony of the city. The following are Bastia, Campochiesa, Leca, Lusignano, Salea and San Fedele.

Bastia

693 inhabitants about 5 km from the Ingauno center, situated where the waters of the Arroscia stream join those of the Nevaoriginando the Centa river.

To visit:

  • Parish Church of the Santissima Annunziata
  • Oratory of the Holy Cross, located near the parish and headquarters of the Confraternity of Santa Croce
  • Church of Santo Stefano di Massaro last testimony of a previous settlement the bastida
  • The Chapel of the Madonna del Carmine called "dei Pizzi" founded by Stefano Pizzo in 1641
  • Chapel of San Bernardo, an ancient chapel located in the oldest part of the town
  • Castle of Bastia

Celebrations:

  • Feast of the Santissima Annunziata, on March 25th.
  • Feast of the Madonna del Carmine, on July 16th.
  • Feast of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, on 20th August.
  • FFeast of Our Lady of Sorrows, on 15th September.
  • "Sagra du burgu" (Village Festival), in the last weekend of August on the occasion of the feast of St. Bernard, with food and wine tastings of the products of the hamlet and of the Ingaunian territory.

Campochiesa

697 inhabitants and is about 4 km from the town of Ingauno in a strip of plain between the River Centa and the hills. The context in which the center stands is to read the undulation of land and woods, the inhabited center has a central road which, following it for a few minutes, leads to the town of Mortéo where there are some ruins and a church with fifteenth century frescoes. In the fields of Campochiesa the production of wines is active, such as pigato and rossese. At the cemetery of the hamlet is the Church of San Giorgio or de Campora, of medieval origin and in Romanesque-Gothic style, preserves cycles of frescoes from the fifteenth century. Its construction is attributed to the Knights Templar, as a contribution to the importance that Albenga had had for the conquest of Jerusalem during the crusades.

To visit:

  • Church of San Giorgio di Campochiesa in the homonymous village.
  • Parish Church of Saints Fabiano and Sebastiano in the historic center of Campochiesa.
  • Oratory of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist in the historic center of Campochiesa
  • Chapel of San Sebastiano in the locality of Morteo in Campochiesa.


Celebrations:

  • Patronal feast of Saints Fabiano and Sebastiano, on 20th January
  • Feast of San Giorgio coopatrono, on 23rd April
  • Feast of the Chapel of Morteo first Sunday of June
  • Feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist
  • Festival of the "4 of Albenga" first weekend of July
  • Castagne and Rossese, first Sunday of October in the historic center.

Leca

suburb of about 3000 inhabitants about 4 km from the capital city of ingauno. The name derives from Leuca, abbreviation of Leucanthemum, name of a spontaneous daisy that grew in the area. Currently it is an important agricultural center and the building development of recent years has meant that Leca became the immediate periphery of the historic center of Albenga.

To visit:

  • Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, dating back to 1790, which presents paintings of a certain value.
  • Oratory of San Pietro, home of the Confraternity of San Pietro, adjacent to the parish of Nostra Signora dell'Assunta. Inside it, the processional crucifixes, sacred and painted furnishings are preserved.
  • Church of Santa Maria del Bossero

Celebrations:

  • Patronal Feast of Saints Peter and Paul, June 29th
  • Feast of St. John the Baptist, June 24th
  • Feast of Our Lady of the Assumption, August 15th
  • Grandma's Pudding Festival, weekend before August 15th

Lusignano

About 1,000 inhabitants about 4 km from the inhabited center, in a strip of plain between the River Centa and the offshoots of the steep hills that delimit the southern plain. The town is crossed by a stream called Rio Carpaneto. The inhabited area develops along the hilly ridge with a rather articulated structure, probably evidence of an older origin than the other villas of the plain. During the excavations for the construction of a new residential complex, in the region of Rusineo, ruins of a Roman villa of considerable size emerged, signaling a presence in the area certainly dating back to Roman times. During the First World War he made his great contribution to the victory of Italy, and during the second it was a country whose hills gave refuge to the partisans, who according to legends and findings deposited many of their armament in the abundant caves.

To visit:

  • The church of Saint Margaret of Antioch.
  • Villa of the bishop of Albenga Pier Francesco Costa
  • Villa Prospera
  • The Perseghini furnace

Celebrations:

  • Santa Margherita: she is the patron saint of the town, and is celebrated on 20 July
  • San Bartolomeo: it is the feast of the village brotherhood, it is celebrated on August 24th

Salea

About 600 inhabitants located about 6 km from the town of Ingauno in a strip of plain that goes towards the hills. It borders with the other Albengan fractions of Campochiesa and Leca, and with the municipality of Cisano sul Neva. Salea hosts the event "Sagralea", an exhibition of pigato wine, a fair of producers, especially wine-growing, held at the end of the summer period and since its birth it has been a driving force for the sector.

To visit:

  • Parish Church of Saints James the Greater and Philip. On 11 April 1515 he received the authorization to erect the baptistery with a concession from the vicar general, which obliges it to the usual reconnaissance visits to the cathedral of Albenga. It was rebuilt for the first time and expanded in 1622, building also a bell tower, only in 1636 will the first mass be celebrated there.

Celebrations:

  • Patronal feast of St. James the Greater, the last Sunday of July
  • Feast of Saints Cosmas and Damian, the last Sunday of September
  • Sagralea, review of the pigato wine

San Fedele

Approximately 1,000 inhabitants, bordering the hamlet of Lusignano and located about 2 km from the capital Ingauno. It houses Casa Calvi where a fresco by Albenga is represented which, although not representative of reality, allowed us to evaluate the physical geography of the city in the 15th century.

To visit:

  • Parish Church of Saints Simon and Jude, whose first structure dates back to the 13th century.
  • Oratory of San Giovanni Battista from 1574, home of the homonymous brotherhood, with frescoes representing the Passion of Christ executed in the 16th century by a Piedmontese painter.

Celebrations:

  • Patronal Feast of Saints Simon and Judas Thaddeus, 28 October.
  • Feast of the brotherhood of St. John the Baptist on Sunday after June 24th
  • Feast of San Fedele on the Sunday after April 24th
  • Madonna del Carmine Festival second Sunday of July