Established in 1933 on the initiative of Nino Lamboglia, it is located in the old Town Hall. In the Consul’s Hall, on the ground Floor, the 13th century municipal Tower displays the remains of ancient Roman and Byzantine Albingaunum: epigraphs, burial urns and stone fragments among which the inscription “Marinaces”, the oldest abbot of the monastery on the Gallinara Island that we only know by his name.
The Loggia, built in 1421, preserves a mosaic floor from the 1st century. d.C., a marble puteal of late imperial age, medieval inscriptions and the ancient units of measurement of the Municipality of Albenga. On the back wall is the large fresco of the Crucifixion, by Giovanni Canavesio, from the late fifteenth century.
Today the museum houses the IAT office and is completely free to access.